- Published on Sunday, June 15 2014 18:34
- Written by Alexandra Martin
The Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival began in 1993, and visitors to this Disney World theme park get to enjoy Disney-themed floral displays and topiaries. This year's festival was held from March 5 to May 18, and as always park guests experienced the unique displays, play areas, seasonal foods at the outdoor kitchens around the World Showcase, and could meet gardening experts to learn more about gardening.
Check out this promotional video from this year's event.
A few years ago I took a trip to Disney World at the time of the festival, and I got to view some of the elaborate topiaries and beautiful gardens on displays. Here are 12 of my favorite scenes of the Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival when I attended in 2012.
1. A Fantasia Mickey topiary greeted guests at the park's entrance.
2. Along with Mickey Mouse were the ballerina ostriches from Walt Disney's 1940 Fantasia film.
3. A graceful Snow White topiary in front of the World Showcase Lagoon.
4. Snow White was accompanied by some of her dwarf buddies.
5. My absolute favorite display at the 2011 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival was Lady and the Tramp (don't you just love her ears?) surrounded by flowers in terra cotta pots!
6. Cinderella and her Prince Charming are displayed dancing.
7. Winnie the Pooh also made an appearance at the 2011 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival.
8. The detail in these Disney topiaries is wonderful! Even the stomach area being composed of a different ivy is a wonderful subtle detail that makes all the difference.
9. Cogsworth is one of my favorite Disney characters of all time, and I loved seeing him on display!
10. Tow Mater and his friend Lightning McQueen from the Cars movies were life-sized!
11. Woody and Buzz from Toy Story had an incredible amount of detail on them. Notice the toy block on the left is actually a plant container!
12. Lotso (or Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear) from Toy Story 3 was made pink with real flowers!
The 2015 Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival is from March 4 to May 17, so start planning your trip early!
If you don't make it to the festival, make sure to check out Epcot's experimental greenhouses and take a "Behind the Seeds" tour.
Alexandra is a professional writer from Southern California who grows vegetables, herbs, lots of aloe vera and one giant Boston fern in her balcony garden. She also grows dracaena, pothos and English ivy indoors. She loves traveling and birdwatching in addition to gardening.